Saturday, June 15, 2013

McDonald's McSpicy: The Next Big Zing

Finally, a bit of innovation from McDonald's to match Jollibee's Ultimate Burger Steak and resurrected Aloha Burger!

mcdonald's
Let's get it on!
I first saw about this sandwich from an advertisement online and I figured it was one of the new McDonald's products from another country. I was surprised to see that it was actually in the Philippines! I have never heard about this McSpicy in the past so my interest was piqued. We only got to it a day later, and here it is!

mcdonald's
Is it any McGood?
We were actually planning to dine in, but it was no surprise that McDonald's was full at Friday noon, so we begrudgingly had our food to go.

mcdonald's
Y U SO FULL??
So, how was the sandwich, you ask? I liked it! Well, I do love fried chicken, chicken fillets, and spicy food, so there's a bit of a bias there. There was also a LOT of mayonnaise on it, and while my health-conscious self seemed to protest, I enjoyed that too. Even more crunch is added to it with lots of shredded lettuce. It was spicy enough, parts of the meat actually reddish. I wish it was a bit spicier, but I have a high tolerance, so that's just me. The spice level was just right for Alvie.

mcdonald's
A good amount of meat!
Now, it is time to address the elephant in the room: How does it compare to KFC's Zinger?

McSpicy vs. Zinger

Taste: I can't really put a finger on it but I feel that the Zinger has better taste (could be in the breading). The difference is just barely there, though, so the McSpicy comes quite close.
Size: The McSpicy is only slightly smaller.
Price: Quite a big difference here: the McSpicy is 80 pesos a la carte and the Zinger is between 105 and 112 pesos (do not know exact amount).

McSpicy Price:
A la carte: P80.00
Meal with small fries/regular drink: P115.00
Meal with medium fries/medium drink: P135.00
Meal with large fries/large drink (Go Large): P152.00

Verdict: 
McSpicy: Good

I could also compare this to my frequent order, the much cheaper Crispy Chicken Sandwich. The CCS is much cheaper, at 39 pesos a la carte, and smaller at about only 65-75% of the McSpicy size. No spice, though! So since I don't eat at McDonald's that often anyway, the McSpicy will be my new default order. McAwesome!


Love the McSpicy? Hate it? Let me know by commenting below, or just tweet me!



MCDONALD'S
Facebook: McDonalds Philippines
Website: http://www.mcdonalds.com.ph/

0 comments:

Post a Comment