Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Movie Review: The Conjuring

Image from here.
A lot of hype about this one! The Conjuring is a horror film from the director of the frightening Insidious, so we already have an idea of how terrifying it can be. I've heard from many friends that this is even scarier and I didn't particularly enjoy the Darth Maul scares from the first movie, so I was not looking forward to this. Alvie was though, so fine, I had to man up and face something that would potentially stoke my hyperactive imagination. Haha. This story, based on real events, follows two "ghost hunters" who investigate the home of a very disturbed family.

Image from here.
What I liked about this movie is that it isn't your run-of-the-mill tale about a haunting, rife with jump scares. Well, it has its fair share of that, yes, but it is also more. This movie has much more substance than your usual paranormal activity story, with much better characters and plot. It does that while, staying as creepy and shocking as any other movie in the genre.

Notable Cast:
Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren - At first I thought she was Lady Melisandre from Game of Thrones, but she wasn't. She was also a cop in The Departed.
Patrick Wilson as Ed Warren - Also the main character from Insidious, this guy must have a great "scared" face.
Joey King as Christine Perron - Playing one of the Perron daughters, this cute girl looks like a young Rachel Weisz. We may also know her as the kid who climbed out of the well from The Dark Knight Rises. Deshi Deshi Bashara Bashara!

Verdict: 3/5 - Despite coming from a genre I do not enjoy, this is a solid movie to watch, and is worth the nightmares it'll cause you to have.

Loved The Conjuring? Hated it? Let me know by commenting below, or just tweet me!



Here's the trailer!

4 comments:

  1. Good review Joaquin. I had a pretty fun time with this movie, even if I wasn't utterly scared out of my shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan the Man! Keep up your awesome reviews too! Great stuff!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete